Microsoft Power BI is the most demanding analytics tool in the market. As per Gartner`s Magic Quadrant for Analytics and Business Analytics Platform 2022, Microsoft Power B is the leader in the segment. You can check out the last 5 years of Gartner magic quadrant ranking for analytics and business analytics platforms to see how Power BI has been a consistent leader and has taken over all other business intelligence tools such as Tableau, Qliksense, etc.
With the increase in demand for Power BI, people learning the tool is increasing exponentially. A lot of people are looking for books to learn Power BI.
If you are reading this post then it is obvious that you are looking to learn Power BI, I have made Guide to Learn Power BI using free Resources which I have used in my continuous journey of learning Power BI. It has step-by-step free resources which you can use and learn Power BI.
Similarly, For learning DAX, You can check the “Best Resources to learn DAX“ article which has some of the best resources to learn DAX. It has all that you need to learn DAX and become an expert in writing DAX code. I have explained how I have gained benefits using the resources so that you can also follow the same steps and gain benefits.
Now let’s see the best book for PowerBI.
The Best book for PowerBI is The Definitive Guide to DAX and Mastering Microsoft PowerBI. The Definitive Guide to DAX is the best book for learning DAX which is very essential to know while working on Microsoft PowerBI apart from that Mastering Microsoft PowerBI is a complete package that gives information about all the components related to PowerBI which is also essential and non-negotiable.
Apart from the two books mentioned above, there are some other books as well which are also very helpful in learning PowerBI.
So, let’s review each of the books below in great detail:
Mastering Microsoft Power BI
Mastering Microsoft Power BI is a complete reference for learning power bi. It gives you an overall knowledge of the product as a whole. It covers topics
- Efficient data connectivity, retrieval, and data transformation using M Query.
- Explains about Direct Query, Import Connection, and Live Connection
- Making rich and Interactive Dashboards and reports.
- Make a complete on-premise solution with a Report Server.
- Gateways – On-premise Gateways and Personal Gateway.
- Creating apps and their distribution.
- Managing Workspace
- SSAS to Azure AS Migration
- PowerBI Admin Portal
Basically, This book covers all the topics which you need to master Microsoft Power BI. I recommend this book to a person who is interested to learn all the components associated with Microsoft Power BI. This book is a complete package.
Who wrote this book?
This book is written by Brett Powell who has also written a book Microsoft PowerBI Cookbook which is also included in this list.
The Definitive Guide to DAX
The Definitive Guide to Dax is a great book for learning DAX Languages, which is essential for getting the most out of Microsoft Power BI. Without DAX, You cannot bring good insight from your raw data. So DAX is an important language you cannot skip learning, and to learn it, there is no better book than The Definitive Guide to DAX.
Who wrote this book?
Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari have written the book. They are the owner of the SQLBI website and also some of the other sites like Daxformatter, Daxpattern, etc. Their work in the field of Microsoft technologies such as PowerBI, Excel, and DAX is just outstanding. I have also mentioned their Introduction to DAX Video Course in my article Best Resources to learn DAX.
Microsoft Power BI Cookbook
Microsoft Power BI Cookbook is a great book for learning Power BI overall. This book has tips and tricks, practical use cases, and technical recipes related to a complete power bi platform including Power BI Service and Mobile Application. In the book, you will get knowledge about Power Query, M language, Data Modelling, DAX Expression, Understanding the difference between Import, direct query, and live connection, how to publish to power bi service, and schedule refresh, gateways, and its type. This book will cover all the components associated with Microsoft PowerBI.
Who wrote this book?
The book is written by Brett Powell who also owns Frontline Analytics and has previously worked with multiple analytics companies. He has written two books on Microsoft Power BI.
Supercharge Power BI: Power BI Is Better When You Learn to Write DAX
Supercharge Power BI is a great book for learning DAX. I found their approach to explaining concepts more practical. It’s a great book for the beginner as each and every step is explained in the book with the help of a screenshot so that anyone can understand the concept easily.
I recommend you to please go through this book, you will definitely like it. To check the book`s initial pages, you can go to Amazon, and click on Look Inside above the Image of the Book.
Who wrote this book?
This book is written by Matt Allington who also owns the Excelerator BI website which provides Online Courses related to PowerBI. I am a regular visitor to his site and always loved the blog posted by Matt. I suggest you read his blog and as well his book.
Data Analysis with Microsoft Power BI
What I loved about the book is the practical step-by-step approach to explaining a topic. This book has explained all the topics in a very easy language so that anyone can understand the topic very easily.
I would recommend this book to someone looking for a book with an easy explanation. The book has described Data loading, Data preparation, Data Modelling, and Visualization using various graphs and charts in an efficient manner using a screenshot from the Power BI Desktop.
Who wrote this book?
The book is written by Brian Larson the chief creative officer and partner at Superior Consulting Service and also a frequent presenter at SQL Saturdays and Pass Summit. He is also a columnist at SQL Server Magazine. This book is published by McGraw Hill Education.
I have mentioned some of the advanced books related to Power BI which will help the readers to get specialized knowledge on Power Query, Data Modelling, and Python use in Power BI, etc.
Extending Power BI with Python and R
Extending Power BI with Python and R Book will help you to perform advanced analytics on your data using python and R language in Power BI. So it will help you to perform tasks that are not possible using the features available in the Power BI.
What will readers learn from the Book?
- Discover best practices for using Python and R in Power BI products
- Use Python and R to perform complex data manipulations in Power BI
- Apply data anonymization and data pseudonymization in Power BI
- Log data and load large datasets in Power BI using Python and R
- Enrich your Power BI dashboards using external APIs and machine learning models
- Extract insights from your data using linear optimization and other algorithms
- Handle outliers and missing values for multivariate and time-series data
- Create any visualization, as complex as you want, using R scripts
Power BI Machine Learning and OpenAI
In the dynamic realm of business intelligence, “Unleashing Your Data with Power BI Machine Learning and OpenAI” by Greg Beaumont emerges as an indispensable guide for data scientists and BI professionals. This review explores the book’s key features, highlights, and why it’s a must-read, compelling readers to delve into its transformative insights.
Key Features That Set This Book Apart:
- Real-World Application: Beaumont seamlessly integrates hands-on examples using FAA airline data, making complex concepts accessible through practical scenarios.
- AI and Machine Learning Mastery: The book goes beyond Power BI basics, unlocking the full potential of advanced analytics by incorporating AI and machine learning techniques.
- Interactive Learning: A workshop-style approach allows readers to actively engage in data ingestion, modeling, analytics, and predictive analytics, ensuring a deeper understanding of concepts.
- Free PDF eBook: The purchase of the print or Kindle version includes a complimentary PDF eBook, enhancing accessibility and convenience for readers.
Why Should You Read This Book?
- Practical Skill Enhancement: Tailored for data science and BI professionals, this book equips you with the skills needed to excel in Power BI machine learning and OpenAI integration.
- In-Depth Exploration: From AI features and visuals to building SaaS Power BI ML models and integrating Azure OpenAI, this book provides a comprehensive exploration of the subject matter.
- Hands-On Experience: The workshop-style content ensures that readers gain practical, real-life experience, transforming theoretical knowledge into tangible skills.
- Versatile Audience: Whether you’re a seasoned data scientist or a BI enthusiast, this book caters to a broad audience, making it an invaluable resource for skill development.
Why Buy This Book Today? “Unleashing Your Data with Power BI Machine Learning and OpenAI” is not just a book; it’s a gateway to unlocking the true potential of Power BI and data analytics. By delving into the intricacies of AI, machine learning, and OpenAI integration, this book propels you into the forefront of data-driven decision-making.
Where to Get Your Copy: To embark on this transformative journey, secure your copy today. Click the link below to access the book on Amazon.
The Future of Finance with ChatGPT and Power BI
In the rapidly evolving landscape of finance, “The Future of Finance with ChatGPT and Power BI” by James Bryant and Aloke Mukherjee stands as a groundbreaking guide, promising to revolutionize the way we approach decision-making, market strategies, and investment opportunities. This review delves into the book’s key attributes, unique insights, and why it’s a must-read for anyone navigating the dynamic world of finance.
- Strategic Automation with ChatGPT: The book introduces a strategic edge by demonstrating how to automate Power BI with ChatGPT, enabling readers to gain quick and competitive financial insights. This automation not only expedites processes but also provides a valuable edge in the fiercely competitive financial landscape.
- Practical Financial Analysis: A standout feature is the incorporation of practical examples of financial analysis and reporting. Readers are not just exposed to theoretical concepts but are provided with tangible scenarios, empowering them to make better, data-driven decisions in real-world financial scenarios.
- Real-World Integration: The step-by-step integration of ChatGPT, financial analysis, and Power BI is a standout feature. Through real-world success stories, the book ensures that readers not only grasp the theoretical aspects but are equipped to apply these insights in practical, real-life situations.
- Complimentary eBook: The inclusion of a free PDF eBook with the purchase of the print or Kindle version enhances the accessibility and convenience of the material. Readers can seamlessly transition between formats, ensuring a flexible and user-friendly learning experience.
In a landscape where finance, analytics, and artificial intelligence converge, this book offers a holistic perspective. Starting with a brief introduction to finance and Power BI, it leads readers through a journey of practical application. By examining companies like Tesla, John Deere, Salesforce, Moderna, and CrowdStrike, the book provides a diverse range of insights, blending financial concepts, Power BI visualizations, and the application of AI and ChatGPT.
Why Read This Book:
- Innovation in Financial Analytics: The book isn’t just a guide; it’s a roadmap to innovative financial analytics. It equips readers with the skills to dominate investing and trading by leveraging ChatGPT’s game-changing insights.
- Mastering Power BI: For those looking to master Power BI, the book serves as a comprehensive resource for creating dynamic financial visuals, custom dashboards, and impactful charts.
- AI Integration for Advanced Analysis: Learn how to apply AI and ChatGPT for advanced financial analysis and natural language processing (NLP) in news analysis, gaining a competitive edge in understanding market sentiments.
- Real-World Applications: The inclusion of real-world examples, such as navigating the biotech frontier with Moderna and addressing cybersecurity challenges with CrowdStrike, makes the book a valuable resource for practical, actionable insights.
Who Should Read This Book:
This book caters to a diverse audience, including students, academics, data analysts, AI enthusiasts, investors, traders, financial professionals, business owners, and entrepreneurs. While a foundational understanding of finance, investment, and data analysis is beneficial, the book is designed to be accessible to both novices and experienced professionals.
“The Future of Finance with ChatGPT and Power BI” isn’t just a glimpse into the future; it’s a manual for thriving in the present financial landscape. With its blend of practical examples, strategic insights, and real-world applications, this book is a must-read for anyone looking to redefine their approach to financial analytics.
Where to Get Your Copy:
To embark on this transformative journey, secure your copy today. Click the link below to access the book on Amazon:
Power BI for Finance and Accounting: Unlocking Financial Insights
Kiet Huynh’s “Power BI for Finance and Accounting: Unlocking Financial Insights” stands out as a valuable resource for professionals navigating the intricacies of financial management. This succinct review highlights key aspects of the book, emphasizing its relevance and the benefits it offers to those seeking to enhance their financial analysis skills.
- Comprehensive Guidance: The book provides a thorough guide, taking readers from Power BI fundamentals to advanced features. It serves as a comprehensive resource for understanding and utilizing this powerful data analysis tool.
- Modern Relevance: Acknowledging the complexities of today’s business landscape, the book addresses the modern challenges of financial report analysis. It positions Power BI as a solution to simplify and streamline these challenges.
- Practical Application: Real-world examples seamlessly integrated into the content bridge the gap between theory and practice, allowing readers to apply their knowledge to real-life financial scenarios.
- Strategic Insights: Beyond instructing on Power BI usage, the book delves into why it should be the tool of choice for financial analysis. This strategic perspective empowers readers to make informed decisions about their analytical tools.
Why Read This Book:
- Efficient Workflow: Learn how Power BI can streamline financial report analysis, saving time and enhancing efficiency for finance and accounting professionals.
- Opportunity Identification: Understand how leveraging Power BI can uncover hidden opportunities within complex financial data, providing a competitive edge in decision-making.
- Informed Decision-Making: Gain deeper insights into financial data, empowering intelligent decision-making through a comprehensive understanding of Power BI.
- Effective Communication: Acquire skills to create visually appealing and easily comprehensible financial reports, enhancing communication across all levels of an organization.
This book caters to financial experts, accounting managers, and anyone involved in strategic decision-making. It is equally valuable for individuals seeking to enhance their proficiency in Power BI for financial analysis, regardless of their expertise level.
“Power BI for Finance and Accounting: Unlocking Financial Insights” is not just a tutorial; it’s a concise yet transformative journey into the realm of financial analysis. Kiet Huynh’s expertise shines through, offering readers a roadmap to harnessing the power of Power BI for unparalleled financial insights.
Where to Get Your Copy:
To empower your financial analysis skills and unlock the potential of Power BI, secure your copy today. Click the link below to access the book on Amazon.
In the ever-evolving landscape of data analytics, “Artificial Intelligence with Power BI” by Mary-Jo Diepeveen stands as a game-changer. This review delves into the book’s key features, outlining why it’s a must-read for data analysts and BI developers looking to elevate their skills in the era of artificial intelligence.
- Practical Integration: Mary-Jo seamlessly bridges theory and practice, offering readers a hands-on guide to applying diverse AI techniques within Power BI. This practical approach ensures that the theoretical knowledge translates into actionable insights.
- Efficiency Boost: The book empowers users to save valuable time by creating machine learning models independently and seamlessly integrating them into BI reports. This efficiency boost is a game-changer in the fast-paced world of data analytics.
- Holistic Understanding: Going beyond the basics, Mary-Jo explores the comprehensive integration of Cognitive Services and Azure Machine Learning with Power BI. Readers gain a holistic understanding of AI’s potential within the Power BI platform.
“Artificial Intelligence with Power BI” unfolds as a roadmap for extracting intelligent insights from the vast sea of data. Starting with the benefits of AI in Power BI, the journey progresses through data exploration, preparation, and utilization of prominent AI features like forecasting, anomaly detection, Q&A, text analytics, and computer vision within Power BI reports.
Why Invest Your Time:
- Data Enrichment Mastery: Discover techniques to mitigate bias, handle outliers, and prepare time series data for accurate forecasting, offering a robust approach to data enrichment.
- Hands-On Application: The book equips readers with practical skills, including using text analytics in Power Query Editor, integrating QnA Maker with PowerApps to create interactive apps, and harnessing computer vision for insights from images.
- AutoML Demystified: Mary-Jo simplifies the integration of AutoML models trained in Azure ML with Power Query Editor, guiding readers through the process of training models and instilling responsible AI practices.
Who Should Read This Book:
This book caters to data analysts and BI developers eager to explore the advanced analytics and artificial intelligence possibilities within Power BI. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced user, the book is designed to enhance your proficiency and unlock the intelligent potential within your data.
“Artificial Intelligence with Power BI” isn’t just a guide; it’s a transformative journey into the future of data analytics. Mary-Jo Diepeveen provides a roadmap for users to unlock intelligent insights responsibly, ensuring they emerge equipped with the skills to navigate the evolving landscape of AI-driven analytics.
Where to Get Your Copy:
Embark on this transformative journey and unlock the intelligent potential within your data. Secure your copy today by clicking the link below:
I have written this article after much research and past experience. During the preparation phase of the article, I have gone through a lot of books related to Power BI but I have suggested only those books which provided valuable information and explained the topic in an easy and step by manner for better understanding.
This article is updated on 21/01/2024 with the latest edition books Amazon Affiliate Referral Links. A new section has also been added where books for advanced users have been suggested. Few more good books in the Advance sention has been added.